Ghosn likely to step down as Renault CEO before term ends, report says


Ghosn would continue as CEO and chairman of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance.

Renault’s Carlos Ghosn is likely to step down as CEO of the French automaker before the end of his term in 2022, the Financial Times reported on Thursday.

Ghosn, 64, would remain chairman of Renault and continue as CEO and chairman of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance responsible for driving the three groups closer to being a single global entity, the FT reported.

“You can suspect before 2022 I will stop being CEO of Renault,” Ghosn told the paper.

Renault was not immediately available for further comment.

Ghosn is spearheading efforts to combine Nissan and Renault to strengthen their lopsided two-decade-old alliance as the industry shifts to meet new challenges in an era of self-driving and electric vehicles. Last year, Ghosn handed over the day-to-day running of Nissan to Hiroto Saikawa.

In September, the alliance unveiled a 2022 midterm plan that targeted increasing annual synergies to more than 10 billion euros ($11.8 billion), up from 5 billion in 2016.

It’s not the first time the manager, once nicknamed “Le Cost Killer,” has hinted he may reduce the number of hats he’s wearing. In 2012, Ghosn told McKinsey he didn’t intend to keep working as much as he was into his 60s. At the start of the year, he already alluded to stepping down as Renault’s CEO. Continuing to manage the three companies is not “sustainable,” he told French lawmakers at a January hearing on industrial policy.

{{title}}


{{abstract}}

Read more >


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*